Saturday, September 22, 2012

Blog Post #4

Podcast Cartoon: Joking Scene
Langwitches: 1st Graders Create a Read along Book

Mrs. Lobster’s first grade class does not just read out of a book, her students develop a creative way to read. With the help of Silvia Tolisano, the children turn an ordinary school book into a fun learning experience. The students use podcast to create audio script books, with the guidance of their teachers. While podcasting, the classmates go back and forth reading their parts. They create different sounds to give the script a real life effect. Podcasting gives a new way to interact while learning. It keeps the student’s attention, plus their minds open to new ideas.

I enjoyed listening to the podcast online, in addition to reading with Mrs. Lobster’s class. I am defiantly going to get my students to read with podcast. By starting off with an example, I will slowly have my student’s work their way into creating their own podcast. Podcast is wonderful way to bring creativity into a classroom, and for students to express themselves.

The Benefits of Podcasting in a Classroom

Another resource about podcasting was posted by Joe Dale, “The Benefits of Podcasting in a Classroom”. The source, followed by a clip, gives public detail on the advantages of podcasting in a classroom. Podcasting can be helpful for students who did not attend class. The teacher can post a podcast online going over what the students missed for the day. Part of the clip features also Mr. Dell and his sixth grade class. He created a podcast, with the help of other administrators, from a scene in the book his class had currently read. The administrators really gave the podcast character by acting out their parts. Most of his students really enjoyed the podcast, some were even eager to start their own. Mr. Dell made a positive impact on his students presenting podcast into their learning.

Joe Dale’s site was well informative on developing podcasting into a classroom setting. I saw a different ways to podcast then just reading and creating; I saw podcasting as a character telling a story. His post included tips on podcasting, directly underneath the video clip. I will be using his helpful tips for my podcast with my group.

Judy’s Scharf Podcast Collection

Last, resource I read was, “Judy’s Scharf Podcast Collection”. Her site consisted on how to podcast, ways to start a podcast, plus other podcast resourceful information; she has printable handouts that can be used in classroom for each of these criteria’s. The handouts are available to save and download for later practices. She gives podcast topics followed by a time schedule to make a podcast. When I began to help my student’s podcast I will look back at Judy’s collection to make sure I am on the right track.

I think all three sources gave me a brighter idea of podcasting. Podcasting is a great way to learn, and I agree how it can make class more active while learning. I will take the knowledge I learned from each source to help with my group’s podcast. First, we will set a timely matter schedule for our podcast. Next, with determination, we will come together as a team and put all of our ideas into the podcast. By coming together as a team, and with hard work we can produce a great podcast. Our podcast will have a twist; by twist I mean, to add personality in the characters. If all works out, we can produce a great podcast that keeps the viewers attention. I am excited to see what we come up with in the end as a team.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jazmin,
    I really like how you explain what you plan to do with your own class once you become an educator. It really helped me with some ideas to use in the future.
    I saw a few spelling errors in your post as well as a few grammatical errors. Try to remember to read through your posts before publishing them. I am bad about overlooking things while I type, so reading through the posts before publishing will help decrease the number of errors. For example, in the first part of your post you used the word “defiantly” and I know you meant to use the word “definitely.” By reading over your post before publishing, you would have caught that error. The same goes for your grammatical mistakes. A lot of the mistakes can be solved when you read over your post. When reading it, the mistakes will stand out, for they will just not “sound right.”
    Another thing I noticed was that you did not include any links. Try to remember to do so in the future.
    The main piece of advice I have for you is that you should just proofread your posts before publishing.
    Keep up the good work, Victoria

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jazmin,

    Good job on your post.

    I'm glad you learned some new things about podcasting! Podcasting is a great project for any age of students. There are so many ways that this could improve on students' reading comprehension if the students are reviewing a book.

    I can see a few small mistakes in your post, so don't forget to proof read your post. Sometimes it helps if someone else proofs your post, because they might find some mistakes that you miss.

    Stephen Akins

    ReplyDelete