Thursday, September 6, 2012

Blog Post #3

1. Peer Editing

What is peer editing? From the source, Peer Editing defines it as helping to improve someone else’s writing, falling under the same age group. The entire video went about the proper ways to peer edit another classmate’s work. There are three important steps, both listed in Peer Editing and Tutorial Peer Editing, on what to accomplish through the editing process. First step falls under compliment, second step is suggestions and third step is correction. All the steps are to help improve not only the writers work, but the editor’s skills too. The last video was very entertaining, Writing Peer Review Top Ten Mistakes. This particular video was an excellent presentation on making sure you do not do the top ten mistakes while editing a peer’s work. The students were 4th and 5th graders, who shared the presentation online.

All in all I learned to make sure to follow all three steps while in the process of peer editing. Starting with a compliment, to make sure my peer does not think I am attacking their work. Second I must give nicely stated suggestions, so they will know what needs to be fixed throughout their paper. Last, is to correct grammatical error, with the proper symbols. While going through these steps, as a teacher or editor, I must have a positive attitude; I do not want to become anyone of the ten children listed in, Writing Peer Review Top Ten Mistakes, arrangement; the video of those children acting out their parts, brightened up my day! I would recommend any students, who are beginning peer editing, to watch this video.


2. Stephanie Tyler (Fall 2011) Suggested Blog Assignment

A. Technology in Special Education
Lacey Cook informs us on how technology has helped so many students, especially in the Special Education department. She introduces the video starting with how some of her students are not able to talk or write and computers help them to do so. Technologies on the computers help the students to communicate with their teacher, and to gain a close relationship with the teacher. Her video shows how interactive her students are, with the aid of technology. They are all grateful to have such aid, without it they would feel miserable. It would be a lot harder for teachers to understand what their students need without their computers; it would be difficult for the students who have trouble speaking or writing to converse with the teacher. The students have joy on their faces when able to have technology in hand. She updates her students on new technology to help them learn.

Technology has changed the world; I wouldn’t have been able to see all these tutorials on YouTube with no usage of its existence. Nor could I be inform all of my readers what I am learning, if it was not for technology. More technology needs to be in a classroom to help grab student’s attention and make learning more fun. It could cause a distraction, but with the right set up for classrooms it gives them only what they need for the time. Technology is growing rapidly, and is pleasant to see it forming its way into Special Education classrooms.

The Special Education video, actually hit me on a personal level. I have an intelligent individual in my family who cannot speak, write, and let alone walk. He went to school every day, and I never quiet understood if his teachers taught him anything? Also, I am curious if they used any technology to help him learn, as in the video for special need students. I am not aware of these things, but I have seen a Special Education classroom; I did not see any use of technology in the classroom. I hope technical tools build in all the classrooms and are made mandatory for Special Educators to have.

B. The Help of the iPad for Children with Autism
A little girl, counting on a iPad

The YouTube video tells a story about a little eight year old boy, Braden, who learns with the assistance of an iPad. As we all know there are apps for learning, math, science, reading, writing, art, and more. The particular applications, Braden’s parents provide is, math as well as grammar. Braden learns how to count using the Toddler Counting App; this app provides feedback with visual and sound to help him learn how to say the number he sees. Braden is able to write and learn how to spell with the help of the Writing Pad application. He is doing much better with an iPad than on paper.

It is hard for children like Braden, to focus on learning because of their condition. I feel Braden is more motivated at home, because he feels safe. Unlike school there can be a lot of pressure to learn. It is wonderful how far technology has come to not only help kids with autism, but in addition to other intelligent individual learners.

C. Harness Your Student’s Digital Smarts
A teacher located in southern part of Georgia connects her students to the world. Vicki Davis, in Harness Your Students’ Digital Smarts, helps her students learn about new technology. To have them create beyond their imagination, the students in her class are mostly dependent workers. They depend on the source of technology to brainstorm new ideas. She creates a happy environment in the classroom, and with resources her students are eager to learn. Vicki mentions, “With only a piece of paper and a pencil, only some students succeed”, which refers back to Special Education; not all students have the ability to write. She wants to make sure all her students get comfortable with old and new technology; learning does not always form around a paper and pencil.

Technology in computers seems new everyday when a new program comes out. Open to Sims, where the students learn how to teach other students to Terraform, is an interesting virtual program that is out in the world. The students are able to make avatars and move them about with other students around the world. Another source is Digi Teen, it is a way they can do online work through digital portals. Like blogging, everyone is able to see world wide the students work; this site includes researching, writing, and blogging for student’s usage. Being surrounded by four walls obviously does not stop others from traveling around the world.

3 comments:

  1. Jazmin,

    I want to repeat what I said in my last comment about taking the time to proofread your work; however, I realize that if you aren't aware of why something is wrong, then it is rather difficult to correct the issues. Take you last sentence for example.
    "Being surrounded by four walls obviously, does not stop others to travel the world."
    You don't need the comma after obviously. It creates an awkward pause where there shouldn't be one. The prepositional phrase at the end "to travel the world" is also oddly worded in the context of the sentence. I would change the sentence so it reads, "Being surrounded by four walls obviously does not stop others from traveling the world."
    Despite being too busy, if you'd like me to, I will go through your post and highlight what needs work and leave comments on how you can work on improving. Just email me if that's something you'd like me to do. It may take me a little while to get it to you, but I'd do it.
    I think you did a good job of talking about the topics though. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I just found a misspelled word in my own comment. Should be "Take your last sentence for example." Proofread! haha

      Delete
  2. Hi Jazmin!

    You seemed to have a great understanding of the material we read for the week. I agree that it is wonderful that kids with special needs are able to use technology to help them learn and understand easier. You were very detailed in your post, and I enjoyed reading what you wrote.

    I did come across a few grammatical errors though. There were a few sentences that were awkwardly worded. For example, this sentence was hard to follow: "Technology has changed the world; I wouldn’t have been able to see all these tutorials on YouTube with no usage of its existence. Nor could I be inform all of my readers what I am learning, if it was not for technology." Maybe you could change it to something like this: "Technology has changed the world. If it weren't for technology, I would not have been able to view the YouTube tutorials or inform my readers of what I have learned."

    I would try to be as precise as possible, and your readers will follow along with no problems. I hope this helps, and I look forward to talking with you in the future!

    ReplyDelete