Saturday, November 10, 2012

October and November Summary Comments for Kids 2012

The first comment I left was for a young man named Dilan. He wrote a post called, “2 Wheel Drive”. He and his friends started off driving a golf cart around when suddenly they came up with the idea to build a ramp. The first ramp was unstable, causing them to almost flip the golf cart. The next ramp they built was more stable, and they started to use the four wheeler. At one point in his post Dilan has a concern for his friend Cole because, he thought he fell off the four wheeler. Instead Cole was letting Dilan just try it on his own for his second try! This post was really great, and I told Dilan to make sure to keep in mind safety first.

My second comment was to a student in Miss Mac’s Out Standing Owls, named Sam. The student posted a picture of a Chameleon reptile. In the post she stated the length of the reptile, and the fact that they can hold on to a branch with their tails. I commented to her asking her a couple of questions of what was it she liked about the Chameleons. She later replied that it was her favorite because the Chameleon can change colors.

For the third comment Dr.Strange had us post a comment on Vitulli and Sanitoli’s: Eyes on Ireland blog site. My post was under the category, "Halloween in Ireland". They were not able to finish how Halloween was celebrated in Dublin, but they did leave a link “A history in Halloween”, by Paul Colella. Paul gives details of the history of Halloween when it started and the purpose of Halloween; the purpose of Halloween was to show the end of summer and honor the dead. As well stating later how dressing up in costumes, decorating houses, and passing out candy was a new way of celebrating Halloween. The site has more information describing the specific candy made particularly during this time of the season. He supplied nice fun facts about Halloween, and I commented on their blog that I have never learned the history behind Halloween. I did not know trick-or-treating was also known as guising, did you?
P.S. Later, Vitulli, replied Dublin celebrated Halloween similar to the United States.

My fourth comment was for Mr. Boylen’s 8th grader, named Kelsi. She had a whole story about her trip to Tennessee with her family called “Fuzzlelumps”. Between the long drive she visited some family members, and picked one of her grandmothers she had mentioned in her post. She went to Ripley’s Aquarium, white water rafting, Dollywood Splash Country, mini golfing, Ripley’s Believe It or Not Museum, Bubba Gumps, Rain-forest Zoo, and went to see a 4-D movie. She also tells readers what her favorite things were at most of the places she visited. Her favorite things at the aquarium/zoo are the sea turtles, penguins, and lemurs. The best part she liked about white water rafting, was her brother almost getting knocked out of the raft. One bad thing she mentioned was at the water park she found out she was claustrophobic, because of a body slide that made her start to hyperventilate. I really liked Kelsi’s story, and I was entertained. I left her a brief comment, on her excitement at each place. I also mentioned she was tougher than I was, for participating in water rafting. I am still waiting to see, if she comments back about, how she came up with the title “Fuzzlelumps”.

7 comments:

  1. Jazmin,

    Thank you for the thoughtful and in-depth comment on my student's post. I think you are learning some important traits and concepts in EDM301 there at the University of Southern Alabama. Dr. Strange seems to have some very interesting and worthwhile ideas on how to help you to become a better and more confident educator in the future.

    I agree that Kelsi's story was very well written and shows the reader what it was like in her eyes to go on this trip. Your comments on her post were very valid and helpful also. She is lucky to have had the chance to hear from you.

    Thanks fo the comment and the "help" educating the future of our world. Keep up the hard work. What you are learning now can be the foundation for the great educator you will become.

    Good luck,

    Scott Boylen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mr.Boylen, and I plan to comment more on your students work.

      Delete
    2. Jazmin,

      That would be wonderful and I thank you in advance for that. It really makes a difference to those students who receive the attention of an outside reader and the comments they share.

      You are a very thoughtful and kind young lady to share your thoughts and time with my students. Have a great weekend and I hope your semester ends well for you there. Not too much more to go now.

      When will you graduate?

      Take care,

      Scott Boylen

      Delete
    3. Thank You,
      I will graduate in 2015, I still have a lot to learn!

      Delete
    4. Great! I am sure you will do well and be a great educator.

      We all have a lot to learn. That is one of the things I love about education, you never stop learning, unless you stagnate and stop moving forward. I love the challenge.

      You seem to have the drive, commitment, and inquisitive nature to be a great student and a wonderful educator one day! Your future students will be lucky to have you.

      Best of luck to you in your future and again thanks for the wonderful words of encouragement and thoughtfulness you have left for my students.

      Scott Boylen

      Delete
  2. I'm really glad that you enjoyed my story! If you would like to read more of my stories they are called Brain Cancer, Title, and I am working on a novel, which isn't quite finished. Brain Cancer is about a high school girl who finds out she has Brain Cancer and how she deals with it. Title is about a girl who goes to the jungle with her explorer dad named Edward Sweets. She meets a jungle man there and they fall in love. My novel is about teen problems and I am hoping to have it done by the end of November. I would enjoy it if you would check out my other stories and comment on them!

    Thanks,
    Kelsi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelsi,

      I would love to read more of your stories, and I will make the time to do so. You are a very good writer, and I would love to comment on your stories you have listed. Make sure you keep me posted about when you are finished with your novel; I always enjoy reading other students accomplishments!
      Thanks again Kelsi

      Delete